Microwaving is one of the most common ways of reheating foods.
It is popular because it is quick and easy to apply.
Despite its popularity and numerous advantages, microwaving has some downsides.
One of the primary downsides of microwaving is that it does not have the same effect on all kinds of foods.
For instance, a lot of people have reported explosions when they microwave soup.
Why does soup explode in the microwave?
Unlike ovens and stoves differ significantly from other heat-inducing appliances like ovens and stovetops. These appliances warm food from the outside in.
However, microwaves warm everything at the same time.
Microwaves use electromagnetic waves that cause water molecules to gyrate back and forth. When this happens, friction is generated.
Therefore, when heat penetrates soups or foods with high water content, the movement can get overwhelming, causing things to go awry.
The water content in the food turns into steam which may get trapped and form bubbles within the food.
After some time, the bubble ends up bursting, resulting in the famous microwave soup explosion.
Additionally, the explosion can also be caused by superheating within the microwave.
When the soup is superheated, a build-up of steam vapour is formed under pressure.
The steam vapour is then trapped below the surface tension. Therefore, when the soup reaches its boiling point, it results in a dangerous explosion.
- EASY LUNCH -- Reheat noodles, beverages, or soup in a flash! For days when you need a quick and hot meal, the Rapid Soup Mug cooks your favorite leftovers or soup in the microwave. Comes with a vented lid for temperature control.
- TOP NOTCH TOOL -- It’s an essential for college student dorm rooms or busy adults with limited lunch times. You’ll never have to worry about waiting for it to boil or washing pots, pans, and other dishes. The heat-resistant handle makes it easy and safe to remove from the microwave.
- TAKE ON-THE-GO -- Unlike other containers or accessories, the Rapid Soup Mug is durable yet convenient enough to be portable, making it perfect for storing in the office kitchen. Reusable for up to 5 years.
- QUICK & DELICIOUS -- To use, simply add your favorite soup, beverage, or noodles into the cooker and microwave 2 to 3 minutes.
- Rapid Brands helps you achieve stovetop flavor at microwave speed. Now you can cook your favorite foods in a fraction of the time with our wide selection of patented products, including: Rapid Egg Cooker, Rapid Mac Cooker, Rapid Ramen Cooker, and Rapid Cake Baker.
How to microwave soup without it exploding
The probability of an explosion does not mean that you have to avoid warming soup in your microwave altogether.
Below is a step by step guide on how you can microwave your soup safely;
Step 1: uncover the soup
More often than not, when storing foods, you keep them in an airtight container.
You may be tempted to leave the cover on when reheating your soup. However, this can be very dangerous.
Therefore, the first thing you should do before putting your soup in the microwave is to uncover it.
The lid causes uneven heating and build-up of steam within the dish, hence causing an explosion.
- Microwave Cover Air Vent Tab Comes in Random Colors (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow)
- Microwave Safe Covers Protect Your Appliances from Grease Splatter, Spill, and Stain
- Ideal For Heating And Warming Foods on Plates, Shield for Splash and Hot Liquids
- Fits Perfectly on Any Lunch and Dinner Tray, Pan, Bowl, Plate, Container or Dish Lid
- Reusable and Easy to Wash, Cooking Accessory Makes a Nice House Gift
Step 2: Transfer the soup into a microwave-safe container
In addition to removing the lid, you must also transfer the soup into a microwave-safe container before placing it in the microwave.
It is worth noting that not all freezer-safe containers are also microwave-safe. Microwave-safe containers are designed to withstand heat levels and prevent explosions.
- MEAL-PREP MADE EASY: Trays and lids nest together, stack neatly, and are microwaveable to make meal-prep a breeze
- PORTION-PERFECT: No need to measure your portions — volume is already embossed on the tray
- SEALS IN FRESHNESS: Custom-fit lids keep meals fresh during refrigeration, freezing, and when taking meals on-the-go
- PURCHASE WITH A PURPOSE: Bentgo continues to be a proud supporter of Feed the Children, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that gives hope and resources for hungry children and families. Since 2017, Bentgo has donated more than $200,000 to help put an end to hunger.
- WHAT YOU GET: 10 one-compartment trays, 10 custom-fit lids, meal prep eBook, and caring customer support
Step 3: put a non-metallic object in the soup
The next step is to place an object like a wooden spoon or chopstick in the middle of the soup. Doing this helps break the tension on the surface.
It also ensures subtle heating. Ensure that the object is non-metallic and a poor conductor of heat.
Step 4: ensure the container is placed in the centre of the microwave
Proper placement of your dish is essential as it allows microwaves to reach your soup easily. It also helps ensure faster heating.
Step 4: heat it in intervals
It would also help if you heated your soup in at least 1-minute intervals.
This will not only prevent an explosion but will also ensure an even distribution of heat.
Ensure that you stir the soup in between the intervals for even heat distribution. Stirring also allows steam and bubbles to escape.
- Stain resistant ontainers allow you take foods directly from the freezer or refrigerator right to the microwave for fast and easy reheating-perfect for leftovers or meals on-the-go.
- Uniquely designed silicone valve allows steam to escape in microwave and reduces splatters.
- The Silicone Valve is easy to open, close and clean.
- Set contains 3 round containers that hold 1 3/4 cups, 2 1/2 cups and 3 1/4 cups. It also has 4 rectangle containers that hold 2 1/2 cups, 4 1/4 cups, and (2) 6 1/4 cups.
That’s How To Microwave Soup Without Explosions
Following the steps mentioned above will ensure that your soup doesn’t explode in the microwave.
It will also ensure that it heats evenly and adequately.
This will save you from the hassle of cleaning up messes and the dangers involved.