There are plenty of kitchen items that are common in many households. My household is no exception as I deal with the preparation of meals for my family.
I ensure to use the best of kitchen items to serve fresh and tasty foods for my family. Early in the morning, I serve my children some bread spread with butter. They seem to enjoy it very much.
Recently, while I was preparing bread for them, I noticed something. The butter knife had a notch that I had not realized before.
It aroused my curiosity on the various reasons as to why the butter knife has it. I did my research and got to know that the notch on a butter knife is there to serve two purposes.
For those of you who are as curious as I am, I hope that after reading this article I have helped answer the question behind why there is a notch on the butter knife.
The main reasons for a notch on a butter knife include:
1. The first purpose is to be helpful as you try to get butter, that is, it is non-cutting.
2. The second purpose is to allow quick reference visuals to the broad edge.
In this article, I will be discussing the butter knife and try to explain the purpose of the notch.
I came across articles that say that the purpose of the notch may be to distinguish between a butter knife that cuts pats of butter from the dinner butter spreader knife.
Another reason given for the notch was that it may just be for decorative purposes. There is no known reason as to why there is a notch on the butter knife.
- THE BETTER BUTTER SPREADER KNIFE MATERIAL: Our butter knife spreaders is made of premium stainless steel. The better butter spreader knife also has good resistance to rust. Thickened blade ensures durability, butter grater easy to clean, 3 in 1 kitchen gadgets serrated dishwasher-safe.
- CLASSIC DESIGN: Premium butter knifes for cold butter slicer with holes helps to spread the right amount of butter/jams/creams on your toast easily! 3 in 1 kitchen gadgets serrated.
- EASY TO USE: Stainless steel butter knives curler makes slicing bread/ butter an effortless task. Small slotted holes running down the blade edge designed to curl hard butter on your bread. butter knifes for cold butter slicer with holes, one larger hole designed to curl larger amounts of butter into a rich source of energy on your toast.
- WIDELY USED: This stainless steel butter knives curler, by combining butter knife, curler and spreader into one piece. This butter knife for cold butter, cutting vegetables, fruit, cheese,ect. The serrated edge makes slicing bread. These butter grater are suitable for the food industry, home, cafes and restaurants.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Our team focuses on providing customers with butter knife spreaders and satisfactory service. If you have any problems, please contact us, we will offer a satisfactory service for you! Be sure to Add to Cart！
What is a butter knife?
A butter knife, which may also be referred to as a master butter knife, is a non-serrated table knife. It has a sharp point, a saber shape, and a dull edge.
A master butter knife serves the purpose of serving out butter pats from the main butter dish to individual plates.
This is done to prevent the remaining butter in the butter dish from getting contaminated before the next butter pat is served.
The butter knife is the smallest knife that you can find in a formal table setting.
What is a notch?
Before I continue with my discussion, I realized that you probably may not know what a notch is.
Well, a notch is that part of a knife that is between the tang and the grind. The reason why you may find a notch in a butter knife or rather any other knife is that the notch’s primary purpose is to show the edge’s border.
- 【Butter Dish with Lid and Knife】The lid has been updated, so when you want to use the butter knife, you don't have to look for the knife anymore, and the lid comes with a multi-purpose butter knife, the lid fits perfectly with the butter knife, saving space, and the butter knife has a smear, scraping, slicing three functions, when you cut and spread butter, the cover can be cutting board.
- 【Metal Material Durable and Lightweight】This metal butter keeper is more durable and much lighter than ceramic, which can effectively prevent slipping from your hands. The butter dish with a lid is 3.5*5.5*2in, its width and depth are suitable for a variety of butter, and you can buy it with confidence.
- 【Sealing Upgrade】The bamboo cover of the butter container has a double-layer silicone ring, which greatly improves the sealing performance. In addition, the silicone sealing ring is not easy to age, and the sealing effect is longer.
- 【Easy to Clean】Butter dish can be cleaned with hot water and soap easily or put in the dishwasher to clean. And the lid only needs to be rinsed with water or wipe with a damp cloth.
- 【Gifts and After Sales】The packaging of the kraft paper box is simple and elegant, which is an excellent choice for gifts to relatives and friends. If you encounter any problems while receiving the product or using it, we will solve them immediately.
What is the difference between a spreader and a butter knife?
You may probably be wondering how to differentiate the two. I may be able to help with that.
As compared to butter knives, the butter spreaders tend to have ends that are rounded.
The purpose of this is to assist in applying butter to the bread once it has been placed on the plate. It also helps in avoiding the butter spread to bite the bread.
Another difference is that, unlike butter spreaders, butter knives have sharp edges which make slicing through the butter be easy.
The butter knives are what you should use when you want to add butter to your bread plate.
- TWO KITCHEN KNIVES SET: Includes 8" chef's knife,4" paring knife.One buying get two knives,suitable for daily needs.
- SHARP EDGE & DURABLE: The best feature of our product is the knife blade,Hand polishing by the craftsmen who have worked for many years.Full-tang design makes the knife firm and durable to protect you better.
- Non-SLIP ERGONOMIC HANDLE: Unique bulge handle design,increases the friction between the hand and the handle,more easily to handle and cutting food.Scientific design brings artistic beauty.
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL KNIVES SET: 8" chef's knife can easily handle your daily kitchen tasks of cutting the meat,vegetable.4" paring knife for the fruit.
- HIGH-CARBON STAINLESS STEEL: High quality knife made of good steel,steel with high carbon content makes knives strong,the high chromium content keeps steel from rusting.
- QUALITY and PRECISION: These high-quality stainless steel blades are extremely sharp with an array of colors that represent each knife in the set
- EASY TO USE: Nonstick ceramic coating makes is easy to slice your food and keeps the blades sharp for a long time
- COLOR CODING: Color coding reduces the risk of cross-use during food preparation
- SET INCLUDES: 8-inch Chef knife w/ Blade Guard, 8-inch Slicing knife w/ Blade Guard, 8-inch Serrated bread knife w/ Blade Guard, 7-inch Santorum knife w/ Blade Guard, 6.5-inch Utility knife w/ Blade Guard, 3.5-inch Paring knife w/ Blade Guard
- LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY: Your Cuisinart cookware is warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship under normal home use
- Good Housekeeping "Standout Knife" of the 2022
- Forged from a single piece of high-carbon 1.4116 German steel
- Tempered, ground, and polished for maximum sharpness
- Full-tang handle provides a balanced, comfortable grip
- Hybrid chef’s knife and cleaver design is powerful and precise
Why Does A Butter Knife Have A Notch?
As I conclude, I would like to do a brief summary of what I have talked about. As I have stated earlier, the notch on the butter knife is there mainly to serve two purposes:
- To notify us where the edge is.
- To prevent the butter from touching the handle.
Aside from these known facts, the notch is there simply for decoration. It is also there to help you be able to differentiate between the dinner butter knife and the master butter knife.
Just to remind you, you should always ensure that the master butter knife is always on the bread plate. Never use the master butter knife to spread butter on the bread.
This is because when you do this, you will be contaminating the remaining butter left on the butter dish.
Also, the main difference between a master butter knife and a butter spreader is in its features. The butter spreader has rounded ends.
Another difference between the two is that a butter knife’s edge is sharper as compared to that of a butter spreader.