Instant Pots are a great versatile kitchen appliance to have. However, they needed to be treated with care as they can be easily damaged if not used correctly.
In most cases when the Instant Pot is damaged it’ll either not power on or display an error code. The most common error code most Instant Pot users find themselves faced with is C6L.
The C6L error code on an Instant Pot indicates the appliance has a faulty pressure sensor, which in most cases can be fixed easily by cleaning the appliance and ensuring it’s free from any food debris.
What Does The C6L Error Mean On An Instant Pot
The C6L error on an Instant Pot indicates that the pot is not properly pressurized. This can happen for a number of reasons, including:
- The sealing ring is not in place
- The venting knob is not in the correct position
- There is not enough liquid in the pot
- The pot is not properly closed
- There is debris on the pressure sensor
How To Fix The C6L Error On An Instant Pot
If you see the C6L error, don’t panic! There are a few simple things you can do to fix it.
First, check to make sure that the sealing ring is in place. If it’s not, simply put it back in and try again.
Next, check the venting knob to make sure it’s in the correct position. If it’s not, turn it to the “sealing” position and try again.
If there still isn’t enough liquid in the pot, add more until the pot is at least half full.
Finally, make sure the pot is properly closed. The lid should be tight and there should be no gap between the lid and the pot.
If you follow these steps, the C6L error should be fixed and your Instant Pot should work properly again.
If however, you find that the Instant Pot is still showing the C6L error after trying the techniques above then, in that case, it may be that something is attached to the sensor – in most cases food debris.
Therefore you’ll need to go ahead and clean your Instant Pot to try and remove the food debris from the sensor.
This can be done by following the steps below:
- Unplug the Instant Pot and remove the lid
- Use a damp cloth to clean the underside of the lid, being careful not to touch the seal
- Take out the inner pot and wash it with soap and water
- Wipe down the inside of the Instant Pot with a damp cloth
- Replace the inner pot and put the lid back on
- Plug in the Instant Pot and try again
Cleaning your Instant Pot may seem like a lot of work, but it’s really not that difficult. And if it fixes the C6L error, it will be well worth it!
If after all the methods outlined above your Instant Pot is still showing the C6L error then it may be time to get in touch with Instant Pot themselves and discuss getting a repair technician or a replacement appliance.
Instant Pots come with a one-year warranty so if your Instant Pot is within that one-year period then you should be covered.
In most cases, you’ll need your store receipt to demonstrate when you purchased the Instant Pot. However, in some cases, the company may be able to use batch codes from the appliance to reference when it was manufactured.
If your Instant Pot is outside of that one-year warranty it might still be covered by either your method of payment or the store you bought it from.
This is because select stores and credit cards often come with additional warranty guarantees.
So if you’re still having trouble with your Instant Pot after trying all of the methods above, be sure to check with your store or credit card company to see if they offer any additional coverage.
How To Prevent The C6L Error On An Instant Pot
Sadly, it’s not always possible to prevent a C6L error from appearing on your Instant Pot.
However, there are some general things you can do to improve the lifespan of your appliance and minimise the number of issues you have while using it.
- Make sure you’re using the right type of sealing ring. The rings can degrade over time and need to be replaced every few months.
- Be sure to clean your Instant Pot regularly. This includes wiping down the lid and inner pot, as well as cleaning the venting knob.
- Make sure you’re using enough liquid when cooking. The minimum amount should be at least half a cup.
- Avoid overcrowding the pot. This can lead to food getting stuck in the pressure release valve and causing problems.
- Be sure to follow all the instructions in the manual carefully. This will help you avoid any mistakes that could cause problems.