So, can you use a meat thermometer for candy?
First lets cover what each is designed for...
Meat thermometers are designed to check the internal temperature of a joint of meat, whereas candy thermometers are designed to be immersed in molten sugar.
These appear to be similar purposes but in vastly different temperature ranges.
Meat does not tend to reach temperatures of over 200 degrees Fahrenheit internally and as such, meat thermometers do not tend to register much over this temperature.
In contrast, molten sugar can reach temperatures of up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This means that candy thermometers are designed with a much wider temperature range.
Meat thermometers are designed to pierce a joint of meat and reach the center for an accurate reading of the internal temperature. This can be done at very close contact as the temperatures are not too high. This means that meat thermometers have a much shorter probe.
Meat thermometers tend to look like a pointed metal rod with a dial attached to the top. More modern thermometers are often digital and have a screen to display the temperature reading.
This tends to be connected to the probe using a removable cable to allow you to wash the probe correctly.
At 150 degrees Fahrenheit, human skin will suffer third-degree burns after just 2 seconds of exposure.
As sugar can reach temperatures that are more than double this, it is vital molten sugar does not come into contact with your delicate skin.
For this reason, candy thermometers are designed with a much longer probe that can rest on the side of your saucepan.
Candy thermometers tend to be long, flat metal rectangles with a thermometer enclosed in the center.
This allows the thermometer to rest securely on the side of the pan without falling in and ensures that it is easy to take temperature measurements.
- 【So Easy to Use】Get the temperature by the bright and large LCD screen instead of fumbling with your phone flash to get a read! With an internal magnet and large hang hole, you can conveniently store this where you can have easy and quick access!
- 【Fast and Accurate】Takes a temperature in a little as 2-3 seconds, and is accurate to +/-1 degrees with a wide range of -58℉-572℉. No more waiting over a hot stove or grill for the temperature to settle. Find out the exact temperature of your food in a second! Perfect for indoor outdoor cooking, grilling, BBQ
- 【Perfect Gift】We will deliver your electronic thermometer to you in an elegant box, making it the ideal gift for any barbecue or cooking enthusiast or professional. we also include a handy meat temperature chart and 4 velcro dots to hang it on the wall for your convenience.
- 【Waterproof and Durable】The thermometer can be washed under running water without fear! With a strong ABS plastic body, it can withstand accidental drops or other impact accidents. With a waterproof and strong break-resistant body, the thermometer is highly durable and resilient.
- 【Warranty】Our products are rigorously tested because we believe that you deserve the best product. If you have any questions or need any help, you can contact us directly via Amazon.
Why is it important to use thermometers in the kitchen?
There are many health concerns associated with undercooking meat, particularly with meats such as chicken and pork.
Undercooking chicken can cause you to suffer food poisoning at the hands of a bacteria known as salmonella. Undercooked pork carries a risk for the bacteria trichinosis.
Salmonella is caused by uncooked meat primarily. This means that the bacteria have not been killed off completely and so is allowed to grow and reproduce in the host body.
Symptoms of salmonella tend to appear around 8 to 72 hours after you have consumed the contaminated food. They can last for up to a week, but it is not uncommon for bowel issues to persist much past this point.
Trichinosis is caused by ingesting the larvae of a type of worm called the trichinella spiralis.
If you do not cook your meat correctly, you allow the parasites to reach your small intestine, providing a good environment for them to reproduce and grow.
From here, they then travel to your skeleton via the blood in your circulatory system.
Symptoms of trichinosis tend to develop anywhere between 10 and 14 days after you have eaten the contaminated food.
The symptoms can last for up to 45 days and are often mistaken for the common cold. If it is left untreated it can result in death.
Candy making is a very precise process. Sugar must be melted and boiled until it reaches a stage known as hard crack or the softball stage.
If the sugar does not reach the specifically designated temperature, your candy is unlikely to turn out or set correctly.
Generally speaking, sugar temperatures for candy are as follows. At 230 degrees Fahrenheit, the sugar reaches the syrup stage, when it has shifted from a solid to a liquid state.
The softball stage, also known as the caramel stage, is what determines the finished texture of your candy. This stage is reached at around 338 degrees Fahrenheit.
Candy thermometers are also very useful when deep frying. Oil for frying must reach around 350 - 375 degrees Fahrenheit to crisp up the food.
If the oil is too hot the food will burn, but if the oil is too cold your fried goods will take on a lot of oil and turn very greasy.
If you do not possess a deep fat fryer with a temperature gauge, a candy thermometer is a nifty tool to ascertain when the oil is hot enough.
- INSTANT READ FOOD THERMOMETER | Our instant read thermometer features a temperature probe and advanced, highly accurate technology with 2-3 seconds response time; Instructions, 2 CR2 button battery, meat temperature chart, 4 hook and loop dots for storage, comes pre-calibrated for your convenience, and recalibrating feature if needed.
- MULTI-USE | From BBQ thermometer to baking thermometer, our digital food thermometer for cooking is perfect for meats, liquids, deep frying and candy making.
- EASY-READ DIGITAL THERMOMETER FOR COOKING | Large instant thermometer dial with bright blue backlight means you can always read the temperature, whether you are grilling in the dark or baking in your kitchen.
- WATER-RESISTANT | Perfect digital cooking thermometer for meat, our digital meat thermometer for food of any kind is water-resistant IP66 rated and can be washed and cleaned under running water.
- WEDDING REGISTRY SEARCH DIGITAL FOOD THERMOMETER | Our meat thermometers for cooking and grilling are delivered in an elegant, foam lined box, making it the ideal gift for any barbecue or cooking enthusiast or professional. Makes for the perfect food thermometer for cooking.
How do you choose a suitable thermometer?
Choose a type of thermometer first - either digital, instant-read, or metal coils. The digital ones are more modern and are more likely to have a larger temperature range.
Some will even allow you to take the temperature of a pot from a distance, improving the safety of the cooking process.
Consider the primary function you will be using the thermometer for. If it is primarily for candy, we advise purchasing a specifically designed thermometer, and vice versa for meat.
While it seems inconvenient, we would recommend having one of each style thermometer.
- 8 inches long probe with pot clip: The deep fry thermometer features an 8 inches super-long probe, supports you fasten your oil thermometer to vessel, never be splashed by hot food
- Fast and Accurate : Food Thermometer get a temperature in 4-5 seconds with an accuracy of ±0.9 degrees, making it much faster and more accurate than traditional analog thermometers; Celsius/Fahrenheit selector
- Pivoting Backlit Display: Featuring a 90 degrees pivoting display can easily be adjusted to conveniently read the display from any angle, backlit allows you to clearly measure the food temperature in low condition
- IPX5 Waterproof: Built for durability, this kitchen thermometer probe cleanup takes only a few seconds , simply wash under running water with no concerns
- Wide Usages: Kitchen thermometer with wide temperature range from -58 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit, perfect for candy,frying oil,meat,baking and liquids; Temp reference chart, stop wasting time looking up temperatures online
So, Can You Use A Meat Thermometer for Candy?
There are a couple of reasons why the 2 types of kitchen thermometers are not interchangeable. The most pressing is the safeguarding issues.
Candy thermometers are designed with increased length to prevent molten sugar or boiling oil from splashing onto your skin during the temperature reading process.
Meat thermometers have much shorter probe ends and put you at an increased risk of skin damage if they are used for the wrong purpose.
In theory, you could use a candy thermometer to take the internal temperature of a joint of meat. In practice, this only works if your candy thermometer has a pointed end.
As many do not have this, it is impractical to use them to take the temperature of meat as the probe will be unable to pierce the joint.
Meat thermometers are widely useless in the candy-making process. They are not designed to measure the temperatures that you will need to reach to create candy.
There are some meat thermometers designed to measure higher readings, but these are not the industry standard. We would always suggest purchasing a specific candy thermometer if you wish to create your own candy.