Whenever you shop for a major purchase, such as an outdoor grill, it’s best to wait until the items go on sale. This way, you’ll buy it at a reduced price – you can either save money or buy a better model that may not have been in your budget otherwise. But to take advantage of sales, you need to be aware that they are happening.
Outdoor grills most commonly go on sale after the Fourth of July and the end of the year’s prime grilling season. Prices will continue to drop through late summer and fall as you move away from July 4th. However, make sure you don’t wait too long – if you do so, stores may run of supplies.
The rest of this article will examine why late summer, fall, and winter are the best times to buy a grill on sale, tips for buying grills on sale, and the worst time for buying grills. I’ll also cover where you can find grills on sale and how and when you should purchase used grills.
When is the Best Time for Buying a Grill on Sale?
You are most likely to find grills on sale after the Fourth of July. Fourth of July is the end of the peak grilling season in the United States, and most consumers are unlikely to need a new grill until the following year once Independence Day celebrations are concluded.
The 4th of July is the top grilling holiday in the country and the unofficial end of summer. After it’s in the rearview window, people start preparing for the fall and winter. This involves packing away their grills, especially in colder parts of the country. Very few people use their grills during the winter.
After Independence Day, companies will quickly start getting aggressive on how much they mark down their grills and BBQs. A major reason for this is the floor space that grills take up.
If you’ve ever used a grill or a BBQ, you know that it takes up a ton of space in any room, and this isn’t different for retail stores. Stores need access to that floor space as soon as possible so that they can start repurposing it for other needs—most likely, this transformation is a result of either Halloween or Christmas.
Given that stores need to get rid of the grills with no concern about profits, they mark the item down as much as possible. In fact, they may authorize even further discounts on the BBQs from the side of any employee if need be.
This is the best time to buy a grill and usually falls between August and October. During this period, businesses sell their overstock and clear floor space for items for the upcoming holidays.
This clearance also allows stores to prepare for new grill models that they will receive the following summer.
Tips for Buying a Grill on Sale
Knowing when to buy a grill is not the only thing you’ll have to keep in mind when looking for deals on BBQs. Here are some tips to help you find the right grill for your needs at the best prices possible:
- Make sure you know what you want to buy. Do your research, and figure out what model you’re looking for. This way, you can cut down the number of stores you’ll have to browse when grill shopping.
- If you can’t decide on a single model, make a list of features that are essential to your needs. This can include everything from the size you prefer to the type of grates it should have and more. Again, this will streamline the buying process and reduce any confusion you may feel.
- Check whether an older model will fit your needs. The newer the model, the less likely it’ll be marked down when grills go on sale. The latest technology will still be in demand, and you may have to pay more than you budgeted if you want to model from the same year. However, buying a model from a year or two ago will be more affordable, and it will likely have similar features to the newest option.
- Ask the store whether the floor model is for sale. Floor models are usually cheaper as they are, essentially, slightly used. Additionally, if the store is rotating it out, they’ll be eager to sell it at a larger discount than you may expect otherwise. However, evaluate the model thoroughly and ask the store about return policies – while floor models are cheaper, their slightly used condition means that they may also be a little damaged.
- Depending on the store you’re buying it from, you may be able to negotiate a bigger discount. Big box stores are unlikely to reduce the price further as they have enough storage space – and customers – that they don’t have to worry about a lost sale. However, a smaller store that needs the space immediately may be willing to further mark down the cost.
- If you’re buying a grill that is too big to transport on your own, make sure you budget for delivery costs.
- Check for deals online. Websites such as Amazon, Home Depot, and Best Buy often run exclusive online offers that may allow you to buy your preferred grill for cheaper than you would at a store.
- Don’t wait too long. It may be tempting to wait until December to buy a grill, as you may think that prices will continue to drop over the months. However, keep in mind that shops are only reducing the price on the stock they didn’t sell in the summer. Once they sell everything, new stock will not be discounted. If you wait too long, you may find that your preferred grill is no longer available at a discounted rate.
Additionally, it’s better to buy BBQ accessories at the same time as your grill. This is especially true for grill-specific accessories, such as magnetic BBQ lights and smoker boxes. Like the grills, these accessories won’t be in much demand during the winter, increasing the likelihood that you’ll be able to get them at a discounted price.
If you’re looking for magnetic BBQ lights for your grill, I recommend the Kosin Barbeque Grill Lights – Pack of 2 from Amazon.com. This product is available in three colors and comes with batteries included. The lights feature 9 high-density LEDs that provide a glare-free light to make grilling in the dark easier.
For smoker boxes, I prefer the Char-Broil Cast Iron Smoker Box from Amazon.com. This smoker box features a long-lasting cast iron lid and body and is designed so that the smoke goes away from your food. At the same time, it helps you add smoke flavor to your grilled foods.
Worst Time To Buy Grills
March through June is probably the worst time to buy grills because it’s during the peak of summer—the time when most people enjoy grilling.
BBQ parties are common in the summer, and the newest grill and BBQ models are in high demand. So, stores can barely keep grills in stock, even when they are priced at full price.
If you anticipate wanting to grill in the summer, it’s best to be prepared for it in advance. Invest in a grill when the prices are at the lowest, so you don’t have to worry about not having one when you host a pool party at your home.
Additionally, don’t worry about the age of your model. While each new model adds additional features, you likely won’t be able to tell the difference for a few years. If you only just bought your grill after the last 4th of July, it’s unlikely there’s any difference between that one and the newest options in the stores.
If your model is several years old, consider getting through the summer with it. Once the summer’s over, you can retire it and invest in a newer option without having to pay through the nose.
Where To Buy Grills on Sale
You can find grills on sale both in brick-and-mortar stores and on online websites like Amazon and Walmart. Before you make a purchase, it’s best to research all stores thoroughly.
Make sure to look at any additional hidden costs that may be applicable as well. For example, if you’re looking to get your grill delivered, you may have to pay a delivery price if you buy from a brick-and-mortar store. However, you may be able to find the same model online on a website that offers free delivery in your area.
Additionally, you will also need to consider how quickly you need the grill. For example, if you’re hosting a winter BBQ the next day and your old grill has just stopped working (or you’d like to use the gathering as a reason to invest in an upgrade).
You’ll likely need to shop at a brick-and-mortar store in your area, regardless of which option has the best prices – online stores are unlikely to deliver your grill to you in time.
However, if you’re buying a grill so that you’re ready for the upcoming summer, you likely aren’t in any hurry to take possession of your grill. In this case, you can take the time to research your options.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re ordering from an online store or a brick-and-mortar store that is located some distance away – since you can’t wait for delivery, you can take advantage of the best price and features you can find.
What Is the Best Time To Buy Used Grills?
If you’re looking to buy a grill on a budget, you aren’t just limited to waiting for grills to go on sale – you can also consider buying a pre-loved grill.
The best time to buy a used grill is during moving season – that is, during the summer. When looking for a used grill, you should look at moving and garage sales, online websites like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and Reddit, and thrift stores.
While the moving season lasts from April to September, most people move homes in the three-month window from June to August. If you’re looking to buy a grill on a budget at the peak of grilling season, buying a used grill is the way to go.
Many online advertisements don’t list the grill model, so be prepared to do a little research when you get to the sale. Additionally, before you make a purchase, do a thorough inspection of the appliance. You don’t want to be unpleasantly surprised with major problems when you try to use it at home.
The best part about looking for preloved grills is that you often have space to negotiate the price. Most sellers are just looking to downsize as much as possible to make their move more convenient, so you may be able to talk them around to a lower price.
However, keep in mind that this is more common when you’re buying directly from the seller rather than from third-party vendors like thrift stores.