Easy no bake recipes are so simple to put together. No oven to heat (though you might have to do a bit of stovetop cooking). They are great for summer – the perfect nice cool treat. Pie is one of my husband’s favorite desserts – and cream pies top the list.
So I decided to try and ‘healthify’ a basic cream pie recipe and discovered a new way to eat an old favorite. This basic no bake vanilla cream pie can be the base for lots of great variations – all of them low-carb and sugar-free.
No Bake Vanilla Cream Pie
Usually, cream pies are made with milk, eggs, sugar, and cornstarch. When you’re trying to lighten the carbs, the big culprits are the sugar and cornstarch in these recipes. Milk is carb-laden too but it’s an easy enough switch with all the alternatives available at a variety of supermarkets today.
I knew the cornstarch would be my biggest obstacle, so I tackled that first. After rejecting a few other possible thickeners, I settled on gelatin. And it does the job perfectly!
So let’s get cooking that no bake vanilla cream pie!
The No Bake Process
While you won’t use the oven for this recipe, you will need to spend some time whisking away – so it’s not completely without effort.
Make your Trim Healthy Mama no bake pie crust and keep it refrigerated until you need it.
Measure your sweetener and salt right into a medium sized pot. Whisk in your almond milk (or 1/2 almond milk and 1/2 heavy cream). Then whisk in 5 egg yolks.
Bring this to a bare simmer over medium heat, stirring often. You won’t want to leave it alone – scrambled eggs are not the goal here! Proof 1 tablespoon of gelatin in 1/4 cup hot water while you’re waiting. Keep watching the pot and when it starts to simmer, whisk constantly for 1 minute.
Take it off the heat, add the gelatin along with 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of vanilla. Pour the mixture into your pie pan, cover with plastic, and refrigerate at least 3 hours to let it firm up.
That’s all there is to it! If you want a banana cream pie, you could slice up some banana to put on the crust before topping with your cream mixture (make sure you use a deep dish pie pan for this recipe!)
Trim Healthy Mama No Bake Vanilla Cream Pie Recipe
Recipe type: dessert (THM – S)
Serves: 8 servings
- ⅔ cup xylitol
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2½ cups almond milk (or half of each almond milk and heavy cream)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon gelatin
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 no bake pie crust
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Measure the xylitol and salt into a medium sized pot.
- Slowly whisk in the almond milk.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk well.
- Put over medium heat and stir constantly, until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- While you’re waiting for it to come to a simmer, add the gelatin to the ¼ cup hot water and stir well. Set aside.
- When milk mixture starts to simmer, whisk and let cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat, add gelatin, butter, and vanilla extract, mixing well.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pie crust, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 3 hours or until set.
- When you are ready to serve, top with whipped cream.