It’s the most wonderful time of year when we get to enjoy hot cross buns finally. We all know that they are a traditional Easter treat and can be found in many bakeries and grocery stores.
But, did you know that it is possible to make them at home? It’s true! And this recipe for Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun Recipe will show you just how easy it is!
Why I Love This Recipe
I love this Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun Recipe because it brings a whole new twist to the classic hot cross bun.
Not only do you have the traditional flavors of cinnamon, but this recipe also adds in apples and caramel sauce!
I grew up eating hot cross buns at Easter time every year, so they will always hold a special place in my heart.
And now that I can make them on my own, I can feel like a kid again and enjoy them any time of the year!
Equipment Needed for Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun Recipe
In order to make Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun Recipe, you will need;
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Sheet with Silicone Mat or Parchment Paper
Ingredients Needed for Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun Recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun Recipe. You can find these in most local grocery stores. You can also purchase them online.
- For Buns: flour, sugar, salt, and yeast
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon for each bun (for apples)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans per batch of six buns (optional)
- Topping Ingredients: water, brown sugar, granulated sugar and ground cinnamon.
- ¼ cup caramel sauce per batch of six buns (optional)
Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun Recipe
- First, you will need to dissolve the yeast in warm water with a tablespoon of flour. You can use any bowl or container for this. Let it sit and dissolve once you add the yeast; about five minutes should do the trick.
- Next up is adding in your flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. It’s best to use a mixer with dough hooks instead of kneading by hand because it can take several minutes of beating on medium speed to get the dough just right. Keep in mind that it will be very sticky and wet when you add your flour at first!
- Whisk together brown sugar and granulated sugar for topping before adding ground cinnamon. I usually do this in a small bowl, when my hot cross bun dough has finished its second rise, everything is ready to go.
- At this point, you can start rolling your dough into small balls that are a little smaller than a golf ball. Make sure to leave some space in between each one on the baking sheet, so they have room to rise and expand while cooking.
- After placing them on the baking sheet, flatten out your buns with either spatula or your hands. This step is crucial because it ensures that your buns will be flat and not lumpy when they bake in the oven! They should look like little pancakes at this point.
- Now comes time for making your icing by mixing water, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and ground cinnamon together until smooth. Take a spoonful of the mixture and start spreading it on top of your buns evenly. You want to make sure that you put the icing into a piping bag or Ziploc bag first so it’s easier to control where the mixture goes.
- These Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun Recipe are best served warm! They’re great for breakfast, but they can also be eaten as a dessert or even for an afternoon snack with some hot coffee.
How to Cook Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun
Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun Recipe will show you just how easy it is! Don’t let the caramel and apples scare you away; this dish has a lot to offer when it comes to flavor.
You don’t have to wait for Easter time to enjoy these yummy buns at home with your family and friends.
Thank you for reading my post, and enjoy cooking this yummy Apple & Caramel Hot Cross Bun Recipe anytime!