I always try to discover various recipes to try out with my family. I have a great passion for food and time in the kitchen is always something I look forward to.
Recently, I came across a Rhubarb Apple Hand Pie that was just irresistible. I have had a hard time not thinking about it until I made some for my kids.
You have to get it right to make the best Rhubarb Apple Hand Pie. It is amongst the most popular pies to make in spring and summer.
I have gone through several recipes and believe this recipe would create one of the best Rhubarb Apple Hand Pies you will ever have.
It requires about an hour and a half to prepare and takes about an hour for it to get ready.
Equipment Needed For Rhubarb Apple Hand Pies Recipe
You require an oven to prepare Rhubarb Apple Hand Pies
Ingredients Needed For Rhubarb Apple Hand Pies Recipe
You require the following items for the crust:-
- 24 ounces all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 18 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 6-8 ounces ice cold water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
You require the following for the Rhubarb and Apple Filling
- 1 pound rhubarb stalks
- 2 medium baking apples
- 4-6 tablespoons sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- egg for egg wash
- crunchy sugar
Rhubarb Apple Hand Pies Recipe
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl to make the pastry.
- Chill the pastry for about an hour.
- Add the rhubarb, salt, and sugar to a medium-sized pan.
- Add sprinkles of water and heat on medium
- The rhubarb releases liquid as it breaks down. The apples will soften and sugar will dissolve.
- Heat the mixture for about 25 minutes until the moisture evaporates and it thickens
- Add the lemon juice
- Place it on a plate and refrigerate it
- Divide the dough into balls
- Chill the balls for about 20 minutes
- Roll each dough ball into a 15cm diameter
- Place 2 tablespoons of chilled rhubarb one half while you fold the other
- Press the air out to seal the edges
- Place it on a plate and refrigerate while making others using the other dough balls.
- Preheat the oven to about 200℃.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and keep it aside.
- Let the pies chill for about 20 minutes and place them on the foil-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the pies with the beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar and cut 3 vent slits down each pie.
- Place the sheet on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then remove to a rack.
The Rhubarb Apple Hand Pies Recipe is best eaten while warm but can also be eaten at room temperature.
How To Cook Rhubarb Apple Hand Pies
Thank you for taking your time in reading this post and I hope you get to enjoy cooking with this recipe.